breakfast, lunch -n- dinner

Serving up whatever I want.

Mar 12, 2009

Is Twitter Satan?

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." - Proverbs 10:19

This verse was brought to my attention whenever I asked my youth leader if he "tweeted." He used to but has recently stopped due to researching the Holy Book. He stopped using Twitter.com when he found this one and surprisingly felt convicted. It made me wonder if tools such as Facebook/MySpace/FriendFeed/Twitter are biblical or not. Granted, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Paul or James is going to talk about internet networking sites but what about useless gabbing? While I couldn't find anything specific, I have been in prayer about whether it is okay to allow anyone who wants to access my life. It makes me ponder the information I present. Can you know someone from reading their tweets, their profiles or blogs? How easy is it to portray whoever you want with these interfaces?

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions." - Proverbs 18:2

Granted, I am clearly taking these verses as single statements and out of context but even still it makes one wonder. I can't say that this post itself is anything more than useless speech but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed or had any thoughts on this.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to kindly disagree, of course. But, I guess it depends on how you use it. For me, I use it as a tool to not just spread what I think, but to convey a message, since in my profession, messaging is everything. However, for people who are trying to live vicariously through someone else's experiences and not living their own lives, then yes, I say social networking as progressed society in the wrong way. Yet, for myself, I feel it is an amazing tool to communicate not only what you're doing, but what you believe and through that being a movement. That is all.

March 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, young Rainwater, I am Twitter and Twitter is Me. Now follow me (in both senses of the phrase). You know you want to - remember, I have all the best musik.

March 15, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home