breakfast, lunch -n- dinner

Serving up whatever I want.

Jul 21, 2009

The Stages Of Life, The Stages Of Musik: Part 1, Ages 3-11




I recently ate dinner at couple's house with them and their son, Wallace. Wallace is three years old. Three. Does anyone remember anything from when they were three years old? Well Wallace better because I gave him some of the best advice, ever.

"Whenever you start listening to music that doesn't involve reciting the alphabet, take your stages slowly and fully."

This, along with an encounter with Georgina who said I was very versatile in my musik choice, inspired me to do a series of blog posts on musical stages as they coincided with stages in my life. Without further adieu, here is part one: Ages three to eleven.




Since this was my, "I'm young and impressionable" stage, this really set the tone for a lot of what I listen to today.

Between the ages of three and eleven years old I was constantly with my Aunt Boo (my family refers to me in this stages as "such a buster." I have yet to figure out what that means). We would ride around town with the windows down and blow air-horns at people, eat at local restaurants and rot our teeth with sweets. Not much has changed in our relationship from then until now; especially the musik. Oldies, baby: Motown classics, beach musik, soul. We used to have a radio station called Fun 100.1 but it passed years ago. Now we just listen to the CDs over and over again, and we're both totally okay with that.



This is a 9 minute song that features a large horn ensemble, a consistently fast congo, a chorus with falsetto points, and an overall mood, of groove. This is by far one of the best soul songs I've ever heard in my life.
Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield


As far as soul goes, nothing beats the classic James Brown.
This Is A Man's, Man's, Man's World (LIVE) - James Brown


Then we move onto the beach and shag music we used to listen to. Sure we had a large library of music, but this one is an all time favorite.
Give Me Just A Little More Time - Chairmen Of The Board

~~~~~

Continuing this young and impressionable stage, I was also introduced to a lot of variety from my brother and father.
My brother is seven years older to him so obviously I have always looked up to him. Even if that means him listening to Christian punk rock.

Under Lock And Key - MxPx
Don't worry, this was only his taste in middle school. It gets better. You'll see.



Then my father, post-hippie, jazz head. Granted, my father is about as hip as they come. I mean, has your father been to an Iron & Wine show and know who Girl Talk is? All the while listening to Grant Green and Joni MItchell? Boom. Hip to the jive, daddy-o.
So my father, in my youngest stage, would always be playing something. Whether that meant on the guitar, on the stereo, in his mid-life-crisis Austin-Healey, where ever. I'm sure he played more but what I remember most are two of the greatest folk musicians ever and a touch of true classic rock.




Back in the day, my family used to rent the same beach house every year at Sunset Beach. It had a nude portrait of Betty Boop at the top of the stairs - unimportant. My father would always bring his guitar and in fact, this is where I first played my guitar. James Taylor is the sound of summer to me.
Fire And Rain - James Taylor


As far as folk goes, it truly does not get better than Joni Mitchell.
A Case Of You - Joni Mitchell


My father constantly insists that Hendrix is one of the best guitarists ever. As far as I'm concerned he was just one of the most influential guitarists ever.
All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan Cover) - Jimi Hendrix


So there we have it. My elementary school years.

Stage 2
Stage 3

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in 7th grade my dad took my brother and i to see the white stripes, and for his birthday we saw the shins.
he also took me to see peter frampton.

maybe our dads should be friends?

July 22, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home