breakfast, lunch -n- dinner

Serving up whatever I want.

Jun 3, 2008

Monthly A-Z Playlists - June 2008 (SUMMER T-T-T-TRACKS))

Each month, I make a playlist consisting of an artist of every letter of the alphabet. This month I asked the help of several of my counterparts to help me out with suggestions. Needless to say this is a great playlist and you have no other to thank than yourself. Thanks for all the suggestions. Every song on this month's playlist either has to do with Summer or reminds us of the season. Also I've been asked to say why I picked each song so that will begin this month. This is June 2008:

1. I Write Summer Songs For No Reason - Acid House Kings - Pop - Sing Along With Acid House Kings [Special Edition]
Download It Here

There's nothing like solid pop musik in the summer, let alone a solid summer pop song. This song is a great song to sing along to (as the album title suggests) in public or in the solitude of your car. Regardless, when I hear this song I can't think of anything other than a young couples silhouettes at dusk in a grassy field and we all know that I love grassy fields in summer.

2. The Warmth Of The Sun - The Beach Boys - Surf Rock - Surfer Girl/Shut Down Volume 2
Download It Here

This one was suggested by none other than Seth, and as always he delivers with a smash hit from the original surf rock band. You can't have summer without The Beach Boys and this is a perfect example of a summer song.

3. West Coast - Coconut Records - Pop - Nighttiming
Download It Here

You know, as hard as it is to expect, I get angry when I hear this song. "Why?" you may ask? Because I didn't find out about this track (let alone band) until a couple of months ago. Darn you Jason Schwartzman! Anyways, this is one of the best pop songs I've ever heard. It's danceable, sing along-able, strut-worthy, and makes you want to scream along with your friends when Jason says "Come on everybody!" This song is great and I can't wait for the "Thank you"s to flood in because of it.

4. The Boys Of Summer - Don Henley - Rock - Building The Perfect Beast
Download It Here

Classic 80's summer song at its best. This one was suggested by our 80's fanboy Adam. This song is really catchy and worth of getting in the groove for. I suggest blaring it with all the windows down while trying to sing (even though we don't know the words).

5. Lazy Days - Enya - Easy Listening - A Day Without Rain
Download It Here

Okay I get it, you guys don't like Enya. Well I do so get over it. This song is just funny and there's nothing like female vocals to haunt our summer dreams. This song is just nice to listen to and I could easily see it in a movie soundtrack so just listen to it okay? I'm not going to accept anymore Enya criticism until you've all heard this track.

6. Make It Rain [ft. Lil Wayne] - Fat Joe - Hip Hop - Me, Myself & I
Download It Here

There's nothing like trying to act "gangster", especially when you're white and who better to pretend to than a fat white rapper? Especially when he's collaborating with my favorite pop-rapper as of late, Little Wayne. This song's chorus is quotable at any occasion and I suggest doing so.. especially if you get a tetris on Tetris against someone. But really any time is good to "MAKE IT RAIN!"

7. I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel - The Get Up Kids - EmoRock - Something To Write Home About
Download It Here

Another track suggested by Seth, this catchy childhood song reminds us of every teenagers hesitancy... especially while branching out during summer.

8. So Free - Hot Chip - Electronic - All Filler, No Killer
Download It Here

I must admit that I'm extremely biased toward this song but that doesn't negate the fact that it's awesome. The reason this reminded me of summer was because everyday on the way to work last summer I would listen to this this album and "The Warning" album by Hot Chip and grew to love the soothing groove affect established by this song. Listen and love.

9. Life Alone (The Postal Service vs Jay-Z) - Immuzikation - Mash Up - Probly Normal
Download It Here

Nothing like a killer mash up to get your summer "bumping" and who better to give us one (besides Girl Talk) than my current favorite mash up artist Immuzikation. This one combines two of my favorite songs that every pop-indie kid knows. "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" by The Postal Service and "Hard Knock Life" by Jay-Z. This one is literally amazing.

10. A Sweet Summer's Night On Hammer Hill - Jens Lekman - Pop/Rock - Oh You're So Silent Jens
Download It Here

One of my favorite pop/rock artists of all time, this one takes the cake with making its listeners want to dance, pause, and dance again all throughout the song. Listen to the pop sensibility of this song and appreciate Jens Lekman (pronounced "Gins Lyekmun).

11. Gold In The Air Of Summer - Kings Of Convenience - Pop/Folk - Riot On An Empty Street
Download It Here

I don't really know if this song is about anything more than a girl in summer but whatever it is, it's awesome.

12. Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful - Rock - Hums Of The Lovin' Spoonful
Download It Here

The classic summer song, this one takes the cake with most likely to be on everyone's favorite summer songs list.

13. California (Phantom Planet Cover) - Mates Of State - Rock - The O.C. Mix 6: Covering Our Tracks
Download It Here

Oh man... The O.C. Wow. One of my favorite shows of all time, this teen-drama's theme was Phantom Planet's "California" which was an amazing song in itself but the edit to fit the theme was also incredibly well done. Who else could do such a powerfully subdued cover of this song and keep it's originality while adding just enough to make this cover worth listening to. No one but Mates Of State.... that's who.

14. City Middle - The National - Pop/Rock - Alligator
Download It Here

Recently found this song due to the fact that I only had "Boxer" for a while but let me tell you, this song is going to be played many a time in my car this summer. The National know exactly what they're doing and I can't wait to tell more about this song. Listen to the simplicity of the guitar and his voice when he goes "La na na". Oh man, enjoy these guys this summer.

15. Summer Nights - Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta - Soundtrack - Grease: The Original Soundtrack From The Motion
Picture
Download It Here

Grease, oh man! Don't get me wrong I like cheesy musicals as much as the next guy but this one takes the cake and this being the second most memorable song from the song and if having to do with summer I deemed it appropriate thanks to the suggestion by Matt Miele and Chris Piansay (even if they don't know it). I suggest you and a friend each learning a vocal track and singing this song loudly (and poorly if necessary) while out on the town... I know I did.

16. Bring On The Night - The Police - Rock - Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings
Download It Here

I think this one speaks for itself. What better time to reek havoc in the summer than under the cover of night? Well done Sting.... well done.

17. The Show Must Go On - Queen - Classic Rock - Classic Queen
Download It Here

No mater what hindrances are thrown your way this summer, be carefree man. Just remember that it's not gong to be the end of the world if that nerdy guy has to hang out with you for one night. The show (i.e. your fun this summer) must go on, no matter the obstacles or risks.

18. Summer In The City - Regina Spektor - Pop - Begin To Hope
Download It Here

Suggested by Adam, this song is well done and sensible. Enjoy this one on your late night drives home this summer.

19. Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts - Pop - Seals & Crofts' Greatest Hits
Download It Here

Okay, suffice it to say that I'm in love with the melodic riff and harmonizing vocals of this song. I'll admit it. Heck, I'd even say it again if I knew you'd read it again. "Summer Breeze" takes the approach that summer is more about the sun in your hair and the wind in your face, but about discovering one's self. Be yourself this summer and respect the earth.

20. Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind - Pop/Rock - A Collection
Download It Here

Suggested by too many to mention this song is appropriate for any day of the year but what better time to listen to it 13 times in a day than Summer. The lyrics are a little shocking but still, this song and all the other TEB songs do too.

21. Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2 - Rock - The Best Of 1980-1990
Download It Here

Okay, I know that Zak and Kee are happy that I put this one up so that's the only justification I have behind it. If you like U2, then this one's for you.

22. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend - Pop/Rock - Vampire Weekend
Download It Here

I think my favorite blogger said it best when he described this song as making him want to skip school and run the urban alleys all day with his friends. I can't think of a better description than that.... I don't even know if one exists.

23. Island In The Sun - Weezer - Rock - The Green Album
Download It Here

Easy to play on the guitar and fun to listen to, it's good to know where one of my favorite musik videos of all time started out. Weezer (now currently incredibly popular due to it's "Pork And Beans" video) wrote a sweet Summer song with this one, establishing a platform for many others to follow with their simple chords and catchy lyric. Thanks guys.

24. Summer's Cauldron - XTC - Rock - Skylarking
Download It Here

Okay, I have no idea what this song is about on a deeper level but it's awesome. Especially the nature tracks in the background.

25. Summer 78 (Instrumental) - Yann Tiersen - Soundtrack - Good Bye Lenin!
Download It Here

Okay so I recently heard this song from a buddy of mine who goes by Pelican and I loved it. It's simple and makes me want to learn piano badly. Enjoy this masterpiece.

26. She's Not There - The Zombies - Pop - The Zombies
Download It Here

Too many people know what this song is about so here's one for your Summer love misery.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Farkus said...

Very nice! We will have to drive through town screaming "Boys of Summer" at he top of our lungs while attracting some hotties.

June 5, 2008 at 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice collection!! I think you need to include Len's "Steal My Sunshine"... that's a VERY summery song.

February 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home